Docker Installation Error: Virtualization Not Enabled
Let’s discuss how to resolve the error “Hyper-V service is not available” or “Hyper-V Virtualisation id disabled” while installing docker in windows 10
The main reason behind this issue is “ Hyper-V Virtualisation is Disabled in Firmware Level”.
Consider the below screenshot to relate the problem statement.
Step 1: Check if your PC is Hyper-V virtualization enabled?
In the windows search box type “msinfo32 “>click System Information> System Summary>Search Hyper-V in “find what” box
Refer to the below screenshots for more in-depth.
Now, you can see four Hyper-V related options are there. Among these, check the Virtualization Enabled attribute value. If you see the value as yes, it means virtualization service is up. No modification needed.
If you see the Virtualization Enabled attribute value as No, it means virtualization service is not enabled yet. And we need to enable hyper-v virtualization in system Firmware. A BIOS (or UEFI firmware) level settings required to fix this issue.
Step 2: Let’s check how easily we can fix this issue using the Firmware setting
How to Enter the BIOS on a Windows 10 PC
1. Navigate to settings. You can get there by clicking the gear icon on the Start menu.
2. Select Update & security.
3. Select Recovery from the left menu.
4. Click Restart Now under Advanced startup. The computer will reboot to a special menu.
5. Click Troubleshoot. Then Click Advanced options.
6. Select UEFI Firmware Settings. If you don’t see this icon, then press Startup Settings, instead. When your PC is restarting, tap F1 (or F2) to access the BIOS.
7. Click Restart.
8. Your system will restart and take you to the BIOS. Select virtualization under security
9. Enable both VT and VT-d features. Save and exit.
10. Your system will reboot with the updated features and then check the Hyper-v status under Apps and features > Program features > Turn off or on windows features > Hyper-V box should be checked in.
Voilà !!!Now you should be able to install Docker and run any Docker image in your windows system.
Thank you for reading !!